Knowing how to clean a denture is essential to maintain proper oral hygiene. They need special care. They are not very complicated, so with the help of our tips you can easily make them at home.
Something you have to keep in mind is that they need to be cleaned and disinfected daily. If the spots are not very deep, it will be enough to soak them in water. But if what you want is to learn how to clean a denture more deeply, it will not be enough with water alone.
In the teeth stains and tartar accumulate, so it is important to know how to clean a denture. Just as we wash our teeth every day, dentures deserve the same treatment.
It is recommended that you do the cleaning after the meal. Another good moment would be at night, just before going to bed. This way you can let it soak in water all night after cleaning.
Top 6 Professional Denture Cleaner
1) Retainer Brite – 96 Tablets (3 Months’ Supply)
Anyone wearing dentures can tell you that these immensely useful pieces of dental prosthetics can become a proper hygienic nightmare if not cleaned properly. The thing is – if you fail to clean the thing regularly, you can end up with all sorts of unwelcome bacteria, germs, and plaque, in general, which can and will start letting out foul odors sooner rather than later.
To take care of this, you may want to enlist the help of these Retainer Brite tablets. All 96 of them, to be exact. Thanks to its powerful cleansing formula, this denture cleaner can get rid of up to 99% of all germs and bacteria that usually tend to build up on dentures.
Whatever odor and plaque-causing horror it is that you have to deal with, simply submerging your dentures in a cup of warm water with a tablet of this Retainer Brite denture cleaner will be able to get rid of it inside fifteen minutes! (As soon as the bubbly cleaning process is done, simply submerging your denture under some running water should be enough to rinse off the excess solution.)
- Removes plaque and tartar
- Capable of killing up to 99% of germs and bacteria
- Brightens up your denture
- Gives the denture a minty, fresh flavor
- Works on a variety of dental appliances
- Some customers have complained about the new formula of this product (different to the old one)
- Some customers have reported bad chemical odor after submerging their dentures in the solution
2) Cleanguard – 108 Tablet CleanGuard Nightguard Cleaner
Cleaning your dentures is an everyday task that should never be omitted. Even if you didn’t use your dentures too much during a particular diet day, for examples, you’d still need to stick the thing in water with a special formula inside to make sure it doesn’t smell like a dead rat the next day.
To be more precise, we might as well reassert here that water alone probably won’t cut it. What you need is here is an additional means of cleansing that will ensure your dentures are taken care of thoroughly every time.
This is where Cleanguard cleaner comes into play. Presenting itself in the shape of 108 tablets you can dilute in water, this cleaning means is perfectly capable of disposing of nasty bacteria as well as tartar (A hard yellowish deposit found on the teeth, or in this case, dentures.)
- Capable of killing off bacteria
- Takes care of tartar plaque
- Minty fresh flavor
- A single box contains 108 tablets
- Works great with nightguards
- More customers complaining about the changed product
- Some customers have reported inefficient new formula
3) Efferdent – Denture Cleanser (240 Tablets)
If you take a look at the name of this company, you’ll immediately understand how these tablets work. You put your dentures in some water, pop a tablet in there, and then watch the whole thing effervesce, thus getting rid of the nasty plaque buildup!
And not just plaque buildup. Whether it’s stubborn bacteria who try to creep up your denture and contaminate it, or various food stains, a single tablet of Efferdent will be able to take care of the offending particles quickly and easily once it starts doing its magic.
Another thing this denture cleanser does well is fighting horrible odors. All the folks wearing dentures have been there. You leave your dentures on overnight, forget to wash your teeth, and there you have it – the next day you’ll wake up with a foul taste and odor coming from your mouth! Well, this Efferdent denture cleanser can take care of this for you. Just a single tablet and a glass of warm water are all you need!
- A large package containing 240 tablets
- Removes stains from your denture
- Gets rid of bacteria
- Tackles bad odor
- Some users have reported poor performance with stain removal
- Some users reported weird odor the next morning (they submerged the dentures overnight presumably)
4) Efferdent – Plus Mint Anti-Bacterial Denture Cleanser
Need a denture cleaner, which will help you get rid of harmful bacteria AND give you a fresh and odorless scent throughout your day? Well, look no further than this Efferdent Plus Mint anti-bacterial denture cleanser!
Thanks to its powerful formula, this thing is capable of getting rid of up to 99.9% of all bacteria from the surface of the denture. The problem with these bacteria is that they not only can be harmful in the long run but also are the primary culprit for the bad odor that comes from these dentures. The longer you leave your dental prosthetics unwashed, the worse it will get.
In addition to getting rid of various breeds of bacteria from your teeth, this Efferdent denture cleanser can also dissolve tough stains located in awkward areas inside a denture, so to speak. Small cracks between the teeth, for example, are places where plaque tends to build up, but thanks to the effervescent effect of these tablets, not even the most well-hidden dirt particles will be able to stay hidden for too long.
- Gets rid of 99.9% of bacteria
- Capable of dissolving tough stains
- Tackles plaque buildup
- Removes food particles
- Some users have reported too feeble mint flavor
- Some customers have protested new changed formulas
5) Smile Again – Protech Denture Cleaner (7 g)
‘Safe, convenient, and moisture-proof’ is what it says on the box of this Protech denture cleaner that comes from the cheekily-named Smile Again company. The box itself contains 22 packets 7 grams each, with every packet lasting from 7 to 10 days.
To ensure there’s an equal amount of this cleaner in each of the packets, each one was pre-measured by the manufacturer. All of the packets feature a cleaning solution with the addition of a special mint flavor, for good measure.
Thanks to its cleaning prowess, this denture cleaner can easily get rid of coffee, tea, iron, and nicotine stains. So, whether you’re an avid smoker, coffee drinker, or perhaps both, all you need to keep your dentures clean and as fresh as a daisy is a packet of this Smile Again denture cleaner.
- Pre-measured foil packets
- Mint flavored denture cleaner
- Convenient and moisture-proof
- Easily removes coffee, tea, and nicotine stains
- Each package lasts seven days
- Poor packaging
- Some users didn’t like the form of this product
6) Polident – 3-Minute, Antibacterial Denture Cleanser
If you’re in need of a fast way of cleaning your dentures, look no further than this Polident 3-minute antibacterial denture cleanser. As its name itself suggests, a single tablet of this cleanser can remove tough stains from your dentures quickly and easily within 3 minutes.
The process of using these tablets couldn’t be simpler. All you need to do is get a glass of warm water (It can’t be hot, though!), pop a single tablet inside, and then submerge your denture in the solution. Thanks to its ultra-fast operation, so to speak, you can expect this tablet to do its job within 3 to 5 minutes.
After this time has elapsed, remove your denture from the glass and gently brush off any remaining water and solution from it. (The brush you’re using needs to be fine, as rough brushes can cause damage to the denture itself.)
- Works in 3-5 minutes
- Gets rid of 99.9% of bacteria
- Removes tough stains and plaque
- Freshens your denture
- A bit expensive
- Some customers may not like the minty taste
How to clean each type of denture?
When understanding how to clean a denture, we must bear in mind that there are several types. Health technology has advanced a lot, making life more comfortable for people.
Dentures are not an exception. There are three different types:
- Ceramics: It is one of the most used materials. Its appearance, hard white and elegant, imitates perfectly the natural tooth. With this type of denture, nobody will notice that it is false. It must be borne in mind that this material is very delicate, and that is why it will be necessary to pay more attention when cleaning a ceramic denture.
- Metal: Nowadays, different types of metal alloys are used to make dentures. If you have opted for this type of denture, you should be careful because allergic reactions may occur. Some materials, such as chromium or nickel, are especially prone to cause allergy.
- Resin: It is the most economical option. The resin is a very easy to handle material. It adapts perfectly to the shape of your mouth and is lightweight. When it comes to how to clean a resin denture, it is one of the simplest. You will need a minor maintenance to get better results.
How to clean a denture with simple habits
To keep your teeth in perfect condition, there are habits that you can follow daily. They will not take you long, and they will let you wear a movie smile.
- Wash your teeth after every meal. Use a brush for this. Better if it’s strong bristles. You will instantly remove the waste that accumulates in the food. If you are constant, you will eliminate tartar from your teeth forever .
- Do not use toothpaste. It will cause the deterioration of the prosthesis. There are special pastas, or simply with water.
- Withdraw it to sleep and rinse it in water. In this way, you will get your mouth to rest while you clean the teeth without effort.
- Avoid smoking The tobacco will make your denture look yellowish. It is harmful to the health of your mouth and causes terrible spots
- Be careful when drinking coffee or red wine. They are drinks that stain a lot, and dentures are more sensitive to this type of stains.
- Visit a dentist. Your mouth is more sensitive, that’s why it’s so important to visit a professional. They will be able to give you the best tricks on how to clean a denture, and they will check that everything is in perfect condition.
If you do these simple steps, apart from becoming an expert in how to clean a denture, you will be favoring the health of the mouth. A good care of the dentures produces that they last in useful state during much more time.