Cycling is very famous among people who love fitness. Whether you are riding on the road or taking it into nature to experience its vitality and freshness, it always becomes a good company in this kind of situation.
Some people prefer to store their bikes into their apartment for safety purposes. If you put it on the carpet, you will notice that the grease slowly starts to drip on the fabric and if you don’t solve it immediately, this can turn out to be a big mess.
As you know, having a bike means you need to use grease to move the chain smoothly. Because grease is oily, it is stubborn and takes a bit of an effort to clean it afterwards. Without the proper knowledge, you have to remove the carpet and buy a new one.
Don’t worry, we have got you covered. From the following article, you will find out the proper steps that you can apply to get bike grease out of the carpet. Without further ado, let’s get started.
Things You Should Do in Advance
Here are some of the important things that you should do before you dive right into the cleaning process.
- If there are droplets of grease on your carpet, simply take a butter knife (a spoon will also work) and try to remove as much stain as possible. Though it won’t clean your carpet up completely, still it is s strategic approach.
- Gently blot up the grease using a fresh white paper towel. Do it to the extent till nothing is coming out.
- Look at the stain and check its edge. Start from that spot and slowly move to the centre. This will make sure the stains won’t get the chance to spread anymore.
- Be careful when you are blotting as your motion should only be in an up and down position. Avoid rubbing it as this will force the stain to spread even more than usual.
- If the stain is too dry because you found this problem late, have no fear because there is a solution for this hassle. Take a bunch of ice cubes and put it in a bag (a zip-lock bag will be the best to use).
Then, hold it in a way that it comes in contact with the stain. When the stain freezes in a good way, use the butter knife to pick and remove the mess up. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to pick the leftovers.
- Finally, check your carpet fibre, wool or silk. Consult with the manufacturer for additional advice before you start the ultimate task.
Bike Grease: How to Get it out of Carpet?
Below, you will find all the processes that are highly efficient in getting your job done. Check it out.
Method 1 (With Baking Soda and Liquid Dishwashing Soap)
- Step 1
Take a good amount of baking soda and pour it slowly onto the stain. Since the baking soda is a very good absorbent, it will soak up all the grease on your targeted spot. If you don’t have it in your possession, you can easily use cornstarch as an alternative.
- Step 2
Don’t rub the baking soda to get the grease out as this might damage your carpet in the process. Use a fresh cloth or paper towel and gently mop or press it.
- Step 3
- Wait for around 15 minutes to let the baking soda do its magic. After that, use a vacuum cleaner to clean the powder.
- Step 4
Pour the liquid dishwashing soap (one drop or two) on the grease area. Don’t use too much as this will create a huge amount of foam which you have to clean afterwards.
- Step 5
Make sure you are wearing a glove (kitchen one will do the work) when you are rubbing the soap gently into the cleaning area. Pour a moderate amount of warm water and then dry it up with the paper towels. As you are using soap, apply as much paper towels as possible.
If you are seeing that the soap is still present on the spot, pour warm water again and repeat the process.
- Step 6
Use a couple of paper towels and place it over the grease area. Dry the place for around 10 to 15 minutes using a hairdryer and then leave it overnight.
- Step 7
Check the carpet the next day and find out if there are still greases left or not. If you find some of them, repeat the whole procedure.
Method 2 (With Rubbing Alcohol or Nail Polish Remover)
- Step 1
Take a piece of white cloth and pour rubbing alcohol on it. Don’t use coloured cloth as your carpet might take the colour from the cloth. Since this alcohol is flammable, put it into the trash after you are done with it and make sure you have washed your hands properly.
If you are out of rubbing alcohol or it is not available in your area, use a nail polish remover as an alternative.
- Step 2
Rub the stain with the cloth and do it gently. The alcohol is efficient in removing all the grease as it is very powerful. It will simply dissolve the grease and will force it to leave the carpet fibres. Leave it to dry after you have rubbed the area completely.
- Step 3
Check the stained area and when it is dried, pour some amount of cold water. Don’t waste any time and blot the spot up with paper towels. Repeat this step more than once until the alcohol has been eliminated completely.
- Step 4
Check the instruction manual of the alcohol before you start this process. Also, consult with the carpet manufacturer regarding this. They will definitely give you some suggestions that can be a huge benefit.
- Before you start this task, pick a small hidden spot on your carpet and test it with the cleaning products you are going to use. This will give you an idea of whether it is going to be healthy for your carpet or not.
- Don’t mix one method with another. Start with one of them and finish it. If you are not satisfied with it, switch to the other without any hesitation.
- Always avoid using bleach, ammonia or natural fibres.
- When you are using rubbing alcohol, make sure you are far away from fire. Also, wash your hands after you are finished with the work.
- Keep the kids out of reach when you are removing the stain.
Find More About Swiffer WetJet Reviews
Hope this article has solved your problem. As you have seen, getting bike grease out of carpet is not a tough job if you have all the tools and technique in advance.
Go through the methods for a couple of times so that you get a clear knowledge of your tasks that are at hand. Share this beneficial information with others and help them out as well. Talk to a professional if you are concerned about your carpet. Remove the stain with ease.
Have a good day!